Research, interviewing and data collection
Delegates will learn to:
Research, select and collect data effectively
Minimise wasted effort through a rigourous hypothesis-driven approach
Use best practice synthesis and storyboarding tools to organise and display data
Prepare for interviews, using an interview guide that focuses on key questions and outputs and allows for free-form comments and record the data efficiently
Use client interviewing as a powerful way to gather opinions and observations, test assumptions and commitments and pave the way for change
Refine their personal interviewing style through developing their emotional intelligence and ability to build trust through a series of role-plays
Use a variety of data sources and methods to balance cost and completeness and pragmatism and creativity whilst checking and avoiding bias
What the programme will cover
Participants develop competence in data collection planning, conducting interviews and synthesis, using best practice investigative frameworks and analytical processes. This highly participative programme combines case studies with practice, coaching and feedback. Participants conducting any forms of structured research and interviewing will become more effective and efficient individually and with their teams. Specifically they will cover:
How best to identify, plan and cost research and data collection requirements
Deciding and planning data requirements and outputs
Identifying skills and resources efficiently and costing accordingly
How to select sources and decide on methods for data collection
Identifying the range and credibility of available data sources
Determining the number and quality of sources required
How to conduct effective interviews
Determining the interview plan and structure
Setting up and managing the interview
Strengthening your emotional intelligence: building rapport, asking effective questions, listening effectively, summarising, exploring and challenging ideas
Recording note taking and data efficiently
Handling difficult interviews
Determining and adapting to an interviewee's style and tolerance for change
How to organise and synthesise interviews
Managing the influx of data that has been collected
Writing up notes clearly and summarising quantitative and qualitative data
Identifying findings from data and developing lines of logic
Framing compelling conclusions and practical recommendations
How individuals and organisations benefit from this programme
A common language and process that:
- improves rigour of thinking and clarity of communication
- identifies and substantiates compelling recommendations and solutions
- manages and exceeds client expectations
- integrates with existing processes and current engagements
- improves internal and client / professional team working
- maximises client impact and successful execution
- increases engagement profitability
How we will embed learning
- Workshops with managers on the leadership and processes required to maximise ROI.
- Use of online orientations and process and tool overviews before any face to face training.
- Participants work in teams on a case study (optional technology based gaming and simulation).
- Highly experiential exercises and roleplays interspersed with tutor coaching, debriefs and peer reviews.
- All case learning, processes and tools are applied to real world situations and integrated with existing approaches .
- Follow up coaching on live projects with online resources and reference material.